Last month the folks at Mood fabrics reached out to ask me if I would like to create a project using some of Moods great fabrics and their #moodsewciety downloadable patterns. Umm, yes, please!
I’ve lived in Los Angeles since 2004, and I’ve been shopping at Mood fabric ever since. I’ve also been downloading the #freesewpatterns from Moodsewciety since it’s inception. I am an avid pattern hacker as well as a PDF pattern user.
I decided I wanted to make a suit. My version of a “street style” tuxedo. I love a jacket with tails. For my project, I used the Gladiolus jacket pattern
For my pants I made the Nasrin pants pattern
I chose a Metallic Jacquard from Mood, which I love and a twill acetate gray lining. When it comes to jacket linings, I want a fabric that presses well, and acetate I know works well for lining suits and jackets.
Whenever I use a pants pattern new to me, I always make a muslin first. I have many pants muslins that I’ve trued and kept as a proportion reference. For instance, I’m really particular how I like pants to fits, especially pleated pants. I place my pleats after the muslin is finished, last, so they are where I want them and as deep as I want them.
I made a tuxedo stripe down the outside of each pant leg and the center of the jacket sleeves. I did this by making leather bias strips silver leather snakeskin 1 inch wide and teal leather lambskin 1/2 inch wide.
This is a lined jacket. The only change I added was a 1/2 inch shoulder pad.